Cobra Drivers News, Advice and Buyers Guide
Cobra are long known for innovation in golf technology, they produces some of the best golf clubs in the industry and have been represented on the tour by prominent PGA tour players with the likes of Ricky Fowler, Jasper Parnevik and Ian Poulter.The popular Offset models have been around for years which reduce side spin on the ball, allowing the ball to travel along a straighter path towards the target.
This year, Cobra proudly presents 4 new driver models: the Cobra AMP Cell, the Cobra AMP Cell Offset, the Cobra AMP Cell Pro, and the Cobra ZL Encore.
- Equipped with an innovative technology called MyFly, the AMP Cell Driver features a clubhead whose loft is adjustable with 6 setting to chose from beginning with 4 settings at 8.5 degrees, 9.5, 10.5 and 11.5 degrees and 2 additional draw settings: 9.5 and 10.5 degrees.
- It also features SmartPad sole design that allow the club to line up square to the target automatically regardless of the loft setting dialled into it. With AMP Cell weighting technology which allows for a 12% larger clubface along with an E9 elliptical clubface design and featuring Cobra's dual roll technology.
- The AMP Cell launches the ball at a higher trajectory with lower spin resulting in longer flight time and farther ball flight. All these innovations combined with a Fujikura Fuel shaft and a Lamkin 3Gen grip allows the golfer to make effective use of his power and maximize his distance from the tee box.
It is also available in 4 colors and designs to choose from.
The Ladies version of the AMP Cell driver comes with loft settings at 11.5, 12.5, 13.5, 14.5 degrees including 12.5 & 13.5 in the Draw setting. Colors available for Ladies clubs are: Capri, Green and Caberet.
The AMP Cell Pro is a smaller version of the AMP Cell with a clubhead size of only 440 cc. For use on the tour the smaller clubhead allows for even greater swing speeds albeit making it more discriminatory than its bigger brother because of the smaller clubface.
- Incorporating all of the MyFly, SmartPad, AMP Cell and E9 Technology of the Cobra AMP Cell Driver, the Cobra AMP Cell Pro is for advanced players who want the adjustability of modern technology on a tour club. Loft settings on this driver are at 7.5, 8.5, 9.5 and 10.5 including 8.5 and 9.5 Fade settings.
- Each Cobra AMP Cell Pro Driver comes with the stiff graphite Mitsubishi Kurokage 60 shaft and a Lamkin 3Gen golf grip.
The AMP Cell Offset driver incorporates AMP Cell weighting, E9 and Dual Roll technology into the ever so popular Cobra Offset design.
- With AMP Cell weighting freeing up some weight to allow for a 12% increase on the clubface, E9's elliptical clubface design for better control on off-center hits.
- Dual Roll making up for vertical mis-hits and the heel-biased weight distribution on the Offset design assisting the player to correct ball flight, it also comes with the Mitsubishi AMP Cell OS Graphite shaft to provide the slightly higher handicap player with a longer tee shot and better feel.
- The AMP Cell Offset driver does not come with adjustable clubhead, but is available with 10.5 and 11.5 degree loft.
- Also available is the Ladies AMP Cell OS Driver with a 15 degree loft.
The Cobra ZL Encore is the ultimate in lightweight multi-material golf clubs. With its inherent Advanced Multi-Material Construction combined with E9 clubface design and Dual Roll technology, the Encore boasts of being able to provide the golfer with the ultimate driver performance in forgiveness and distance. It comes with the Tour-proven F1 and F3 Adjustable Flight Technology™ Fujikura® Motore® shafts and a super premium multi-compound Golf Pride grip. Available in 8.5, 9.5, 10.5 and 11.5 degree loft.
Drivers » Cobra
More About Cobra Drivers
Back in the nineties Cobra Golf emerged from nowhere as a brand and at the time they had the world number one greg Norman playing and endorsing the brand. It's drivers were innovating and they were one of the first companies to have a driver made out of kevlar (same materail used in bullet proof vests) and this was used by the emerging John Daly to win the PGA Championship in 1991.
However when Greg Norman left the company they seemed to lose their way (or perhaps it was TaylorMade and Callaways dominance) and the product was not to it's usual levels and was not seen on tour very much but it gained momentum again when the comapny was bought by Acushnet. This catapulted the brand back to the top and they produced some of the first titanium drivers and they were head and shoulders above anything else on the market.
A couple of years ago Acushnet sold the brand to Puma and it has continued to progress and the line of clubs has become more colourful to come in line with the Puma brand. Many top golfers play the Cobra brand which include Ricky Fowler and Ian Poulter who would be the brand leaders.
The new range of clubs include the AMP range which has a driver that is adjustable and it also boast the Long Tom driver which is for all out distance as it is four feet in length and when you get hold of it goes a very long way. Still a favourite is the offset models as they seem to correct a slice better than anything and the brand should continue to go from strength to strength